Laboratories in Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University

The Graduate School of Agriculture was founded in 1953 based on the Faculty of Agriculture established in 1923. After a radical reorganization to revise and reinforce education and research in the years 1995 to 1997 and in the year 2001, the seven divisions were founded as listed below.

To obtain admission, applicants must have completed normally 4 years of undergraduate education and pass the entrance examination, usually given in early September. Students who have completed the third year of the undergraduate programs may be admitted to the Master’s programs, provided they have passed the entrance examination.

To receive the Master of Agricultural Science degree, students must study for at least 2 years (and not more than 4) in the Master’s programs, obtain 30 or more credits in specialized courses, and submit a thesis.

To receive the Doctor of Agricultural Science degree, students must conduct research normally for 3 or more years (and not more than 6) in a specialized field, submit a dissertation, and pass a qualifying examination. Exceptionally, those who have attained a sufficiently high standard in their research may be conferred the Doctor’s degree after 3 or more years (and less than 5) of study, including the Master’s programs, at the graduate school.

The graduate school also confers the Doctor of Agricultural Science degree to applicants who have submitted a dissertation and passed an examination that proves them to be equivalent to the students who have completed the Doctor’s programs in their knowledge in the field of specialization and foreign language. There is also a residential requirement for the applicants to prove their capabilities before submission of the dissertation.

Original Article of This Collumn

IMPORTANT NOTICE for Foreign Students,red

The following websites are fundamentally organized by the corresponding laboratory and their policy. English information in some websites might be occasionally limited, in which laboratories your proposal for admission would be slightly acceptable.

One of the good ways to contact each laboratory is to investigate the published papers in the international scientific journals, where corresponding author’s information is generally available. The following websites may have their own list of publications of the laboratory members. Using ReaD Database (a database for Japanese researchers and institutions) can be an alternative.

Agronomy and Horticultural Science (農学専攻)

Forest and Biomaterials Science (森林科学専攻)~


Applied Life Sciences (応用生命科学専攻)

Applied Biosciences (応用生物科学専攻)

Environmental Science and Technology (地域環境科学専攻)

  • FOREST ECOLOGY (森林生態学)

Natural Resource Economics (生物資源経済学専攻)


Food Science and Biotechnology (食品生物科学専攻)